Wednesday, August 27, 2008

pms poem wednesday

I know I shouldn't stay up late, when PB&J is out of town. But it seems like such a good time to Get Things Done, when the house is quiet and the kids are asleep. Unfortunately, staying up late awakens my inner bear.

Add in a little extra hormone action,

And the next day I am really unbearable.

Poor kids.

But really, if they didn't keep me so busy all day, I could be more productive during the daylight hours.

What's that?

Oh. What am I doing all day long while they are at school?

Ummmmmm. . . . . .

Let me think.

Well, I . . . . .

And then . . . .

Oh, yeah, I am very busy doing . . .

Hmmmm.


I am busy doing extremely important things.


Listen. Do not mess with me. I am too tired for this kind of early morning interrogation.

If you need something to think about, read this poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay instead:


First Fig

My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light!


And if that's not enough to satisfy you, read:


Second Fig

Safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!


So there. Short and sweet. Like whatever it is I spend all my time doing. It might not be important, or particularly memorable, but I'm sure it's fabulous.

While it lasts.

That's what I'm going to do today. Take a nap.

Remember the old adage: Let sleeping bears lie. Or something like that.

Now, say something nice, and then go away.

(Please, take these poems at face value only. Candle means candle, sandcastle means sandcastle. Don't go reading anything into them, or into my use of them. Ms. Millay was quite a colorful character and in no way represents the thoughts or views of any persons, both real or imagined, on this blog. Thank you.)

4 comments:

kninsa said...

"Sometimes a sandcastle is just a sandcastle" ~Sigmund Freud

Have a nice day, grouchypants.

Shem said...

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. ~Mark Twain

the lunch lady said...

Love the quotes!!!!

Amy said...

Love the PMS poem Wednesday! Isn't it great having the kiddies back in school? I think I heard shouts of joy that last night before school started from parents all over the neighborhood.