Friday, September 26, 2008

apple crisp

Happy Johnny Appleseed Day!

(I bet you didn't know today was Johnny Appleseed's birthday. Unless you're a kindergarten teacher. But it is.)

It is, indeed, a day of celebration! Not only are we celebrating this important holiday, but also the wedding of my nephew and his bride --
Here --
It was a beautiful ceremony. We are so happy for them both.

Her mom is especially happy today. Last night, at a family dinner, the mom confessed she thinks her new son-in-law is HOT. And that she can't wait for grandbabies. And since they got married on Johnny Appleseed day, I think it only appropriate that they should listen to her mom, and heed the counsel to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth.

Especially since they will make some beautiful children.

Since most of you don't know the happy couple, here's a little recipe to help you celebrate the blessed day. Today, on Good Food Friday, multiply the inches around your waist, and replenish your family with a batch of


The First Family's Favorite Forbidden Fruit Crisp

3 to 4 medium apples (Jonathans or Granny Smith)
3/4 c rolled oats, quick cooking
3/4 c packed brown sugar
½ c flour
1 tsp cinnamon
½ c butter


Pare & slice apples into greased 9"x9" pan. Combine oatmeal, sugar, flour, & spices; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over apples & bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.



This is a family heirloom recipe. It was passed down from my grandmother (the proprietress of an apple orchard), to my mother, to me and now to you -- 'cause we're all part of one big happy family. And to celebrate Johnny Appleseed Day, go outside and throw a few appleseeds over your shoulder as you make this yummy dessert.


Enjoy!

6 comments:

Kate said...

ummmm, I love apple crisp!!!

Allyson said...

Forbidden fruit, so funny! Thanks for the yummy new recipe - I can't wait to try it out. Weddings are so fun, especially at this time of year with all the beautiful colors.

Jeanne said...

mmmm...I must be a second witness and say that this is a terrific recipe. We were lucky enough to get it from your brother & ubermom many moons ago in the Wymount days.

Liz said...

I have a recipe very similar to this. It is sooo good, isn't it? I wish I could have been to the wedding! I heard it was beautiful...the ceremony, the dinner, the reception, not to mention the amazingly gorgeous bride and groom!

Jenni said...

I will be trying this recipe out this fall because we love Apple Crisp in our household and your recipe sounds very yummy.

In regards to your comment on my peach post.
We used about 14 peaches per batch. Using the 6 oz ziploc disposable tupperware you get at the grocery store and we were able to fill about 6 and 1/2 of them. I hope that answers your questions, call me if I can help with anything else.

Nanette said...

We made it (and shared it) on Sunday! except, it did not work very well with fuji apples ;)